Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Recap from a long weekend.

So today since I was a little homesick today (or at least homesick for American food, well my mother's food) I decided to take a little walk to an American bakery I found online. There I found the most amazing sticky buns and worth the 2,50 euros. Made my day after a long weekend and an even longer Italian class.

This weekend we went to the roman forum, palentine hill and the Colosseum. At 8 am we all set out for the walk to the forum on a hot day for the first of October. The sights were gorgeous and full of history.

While mostly in ruin, we saw the sight of Julius Caeser's possible burial (oh and found out he was killed on the location of our hotel, no big deal). We saw Nero's palace, an old church, parts of the temples, where the priestesses lived and the hill where Romulus according to legend created his village.

We had a quick dinner break after our professor abandoned us at the entrance of the site to take a cab back to the hotel for dinner. It took us a little longer than it should have to get back but we survived with gelato as a treat after our meal. I do love that the hotel serves gelato, makes things a little more affordable.

Then we went to the Colosseum and my group had the amazing archaeology teacher give the tour. It was unbelievable to see the site because not only was it preserved well enough to walk in, though with many holes where Italians had taken out chunks to build new buildings, but it also was so powerful. We were standing in a place where over two centuries people had watched animals fight, gladiators fight, public executions and the persecution of more than a few Christians. The building might be covered in soot from cars and not the cream color it once was, but it was still amazing to see.

On the way home we made a few pitstops, like watching some cool artists, looking at post cards and taking more than a few pictures of the Memorial to Vittorio Emanuele II.

Due to 9 hours in the sun the day before, I had a bit of heatstroke and spent Sunday in bed doing homework while my roommate went to mass at St. Peters. Then on monday we commenced class again.

My classes teach me about the city and the city teaches me about my classes. Everything begins to connect when you're there with it. You read about how the priestess's would have to keep the fire going or be put to death. Then you see the site itself and wonder if it had a roof. You see flowers over a grave and wonder if it's Julius Caesers. You wonder how Rome was really founded, if the myth has any truth to it.

We're seeing everything here and it's amazing. It still hasn't sunk in that I'm living in Rome, minus when I start wondering where I can find ginger ale. I love being in the city because it's an immersion into a culture, it's not just tours and seeing the sights, its the whole experience. The fact that I have trouble asking for directions to this bakery will eventually fix themselves, hopefully, at least that is the goal. It's a once of a lifetime experience and I'm living it. Not going crazy taking pictures of everything I see and not going to every sight possible right away. Though I'll definitely start doing this saturday when we make our way to Florence. I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment